loader image
Tenant Frequently Asked Question
Home / Tenants / Tenant Frequently Asked Question
How do I Apply for a Property?
  • Find a property you would like to inspect and check its availability. It is the policy of Mackay Rentals that the property must be viewed by the applicant/s before submitting an application. Contact Mackay Rentals or call into the office to arrange an inspection. You will need Photo ID such as your Driver's Licence and a cash deposit - for properties in the Mackay city area a $75 deposit is required, for country properties a $100 deposit is required. The keys must be returned within 1 hour within Mackay city and 2 hours for country properties, if the keys are not returned within the time frame the deposit money will be used to change the locks. We will let you know what the inspection time frame is when the keys are handed to you.
  • Read the Tenancy Application Form or obtain one from our Office. If you have several properties you are interested in applying for, you will need to submit an application for the property you prefer and wait for that application to be processed before applying for additional properties. If your application is unsuccessful and you wish to apply for another property a new Disclaimer form needs to be completed. Prospective tenants should note that all properties managed by this office are protected by the Barclay MIS Landlord Protection Plan.

Once the completed Residential Tenancy Application Package has been received please allow 24 hours for the application to be assessed before contacting Mackay Rentals to see if your application was successful. If successful, the Property Manager or Assistant will contact you to arrange a time to sign the lease.

How long do you take to process a rental application?

Provided you have included all the required information we aim to review your application within 24 hours. We will keep in touch and advise you promptly of the status of your application.

How do I pay my rent?

Direct deposit is the preferred method. We can also accept payments using the following options

  • Centrepay (This is deducted from Centrelink payments)
  • Direct Deposit (Tenant would arrange this with their bank)
  • Internet Banking
  • Money Orders (obtained from the Post Office)
  • Bank Cheques
  • Rent Connect (Forms given at sign up, we can lodge them for you)

All Tenant’s upon sign up are given a unique payment reference code to put on the rent payments, to ensure funds are allocated to the correct tenant, this code is very important.

Can you help with connection of services?

Connecting the Telephone, Gas and Electricity is time consuming, to help you settle in quickly with a minimum of fuss simply fill in a Fast Connect Form and they do this for you. This is a free service to our tenants. (Some areas may not be covered by Fast Connect so please check with the Property Manager)

When do I need to pay the bond?

The bond (and the first two weeks rent) is paid when the Lease Agreement is signed. We will also complete a RTA (Rental Tenancies Authority) Bond lodgement form (Form 2) at that time. Bonds must be lodged with the RTA within 10 days. Tenants will receive an Acknowledgement of rental bond from the RTA once the bond has been lodged.

But did you know, if you can’t afford to pay a bond, you may be eligible to arrange a loan and pay it off?

What do I do if I need emergency repairs?

During business hours, you can contact our office. Outside of these times use the emergency contact number that we provided you with when you commenced your tenancy. To determine what constitutes “Urgent Repairs” please click HERE

What happens if ROUTINE repairs or maintenance are needed?

You need to advise us in writing. This can be done using the online Maintenance Request Form or via Maintenance Manager App. When we receive a request for maintenance, we contact the owner for their instructions. Once we have these, we will contact the trades person concerned and will arrange for the repair to be carried out. You can be assured that we will respond to your request promptly.

Are my possessions covered by the owner’s insurance?

No. To protect your possessions please arrange for your own Household Contents Insurance.

Report a Maintenance Issue